Wednesday, July 6, 2011 So, apparently Pizza Joints = Den of Multimedia Gods

So, I was hopping around on Facebook when I caught an invite for a Online Video Premiere Party, brought together by one Clay Otis, who just so happened to be a former co-worker over at Memphis Pizza Cafe, the pizza joint I worked at before moving back here to Dallas. I knew he had put out an album but I never got around to listening to it before today, working 50+ hours a week as the Assist. Manager will do that to ya.

I do have to give props, that was a good video, and good album to boot. Dude consolidated every influence he wore on his sleeve (and that we all ended up listening to up at the Midtown store) and came up with some really good original fire. Hopefully he blows up and makes it big, folks like that shouldn't be having to toll at manual labor, that's my job.

Listening to the album did make me think of my many years spent in the Pizza Foodservice Industry, and how many peeps were in bands or doing crazy stuff. When I started up over at MPC, one of my bosses, now the GM, is a DJ, another former boss is widely known for being the bass player for Tetanus, a former co-worker of mine is part of the Iron Mic Coalition, and then of course there was Claire, before she married Seth Green. Midtown had a even greater number of folks tied into the music scene, whether they were already part of bands that played regularly over at joints like the Hi-Tone and such. It shouldn't really come as a surprise though, Memphis is known for cranking out bands left and right like Oscar Mayer makes hot dogs, except these are more high quality tube steaks, like Nathan's Hot Dogs...anyhow, I digress.

When I moved back here, I figured at first that whatever Pizza job I landed at probably wasn't going to have as strong ties into the music scene over in Dallas. Needless to say, I was very wrong. Most of our drivers are in bands, which makes scheduling a pain in the posterior, and they usually will have a good conversation on certain tunes and styles. I am thankful for being exposed to various types of music during my time at MPC, as I too can now flex my Pitchfork-like prowess and wax esoteric on all of the Japanese Post-Rock bands that have really changed the scene as of late.

The obvious question is, why don't you form a band, you're a drummer dude! Well, my vision of a band would be a videogame/anime cover band that only played for the hell of it, which needless to say is not that sustainable of an enterprise. It could happen though, but in the meantime, I have a review for DTF to write up, and not a moment too soon.
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2010 fmpanda's ramblings
Carbon 12 Blogger template by Blogger Bits. Supported by Bloggermint